Saturday 6 August 2011

Pour Your Heart Out Protein Pancakes



Behold! One of my all time favourite healthy breakfast recipes, which I have hereby christened the 'Pour Your Heart Out Protein Pancake'. It is based off of this TIU version. Not only is it delicious, but it's also completely healthy and clean. As a vegetarian, I have to put a concious effort into adding protein to my diet, and this recipe does the trick. Even though this recipe has no added sugar, you'll be surprised at how sweet it tastes regardless!

Okay, so I'll admit I don't make them into little heart shaped pancakes every morning, but I'd like to think it tastes just a little bit better when I do. :)

Ingredients (Serves 1):

  •  1/4 cup liquid egg whites (approx. 2 egg whites)
  • 1/2 large banana (microwaved to make it easier to mash)
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon milled flaxseed
  • 1 scoop of any protein powder
  • Mixed Berries (or sliced fruit of your choice!)
  • cooking oil
Instructions :
  1. Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat on the stove top. Add cooking oil/spray.
  2. Mix dry ingredients in a small bowl (protein powder, flaxseed, cinnamon).
  3. Stir in wet ingredients (egg whites and softened banana)
  4. Pour into pan, cooking pancake on both sides until browned to your liking. If you want to make them into shapes, place your cookie cutter in the pan and pour batter into the mold. 
  5. Place pancake onto a plate, and top with fruit. I like to then put it into the microwave for 45 seconds so that the berries are slightly melted, and the juices bleed into the pancake. 
  6. Eat it while it's hot, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment