Monday 8 August 2011

Forget New Year's! How about New School Year Resolutions?



Happy New Semester!: $650 worth of new textbooks, oh my!
 Well, it's that time of year again. That time of year when caffeine induced twitches, hand cramps, and surprisingly unproductive 10 hour library study marathons seem like nothing more ominous than a poorly recalled bad dream. Forgotten is the snail-paced summer countdown you had started way back in February. Forgotten, the screeching techno music of your alarm set to 4:30 in a last ditch effort to squeeze in some cramming for your 9:00 a.m. exam. Yes, it's a time of year when thousands of students find themselves wishing that the summer they had so anticipated would end, and the new semester would begin.

And if your anything like me, you begin to construct a mental list that can be summarized as you vowing to somehow morph into a 4.0-wielding, club-participating, community service-doing, all-rounded, overachieving superstudent. We all know it's easier said than done, but I'll give you the breakdown of my list anyway (I prefer the term 'optimistic' to 'in denial').

1. "A"-mazing Grades: This is less about hitting the books than it is about beating the books to a pulp. i.e. rather than sleeping through a morning class, the new and improved new school year version of myself will have already been up for two hours reviewing the problem sets and readings. Oh, and as a rule of thumb: library before beer, I'm in the clear. 

2. Do-Run-Run: I really want to keep up the healthy habits I got into this summer, like running and paying a lot of attention to nutrition. Even if I'm faced with three midterms and two essays to do in the space of  48 hours and all I want to do is drown my sorrows in a box of pizza and bag of gummy bears.

3. It IS About the Price Tag: My tutition is of ridiculous proportions this year, not to mention my Toronto-sized rent. I hope that given the choice between buying a 26-er of smirnoff, and buying groceries, I will see sense and choose the latter option.

4. Keep it Classy: You know...Less of a Marilyn, more of a Jackie. Put aside a little more time to ask the all-important question, "What would Audrey do?" or at the very least, "What would Audrey not do?".You gotta love A-Hep.

5. Extra Extra-Curriculars: There is a whole lot more to me than the economics diagrams and math problems that make up my academic life, and I really want to push myself to join some stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with it.

That's about it, we'll see how it works out!

No comments:

Post a Comment